Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad


For Easter I decided on a vegetable salad instead of a lettuce salad and more veggies for me, the better. I went with a broccoli salad with some mix ins. Going with the other reviewers of this one I found, I too changed it up. I used cranberries and almonds and used Truvia instead of sugar. I blanched the broccoli because I do not like that hard crunch of it. Blanching it came out perfect for me, a little crunch but not really that raw taste, just watch your time, because it can over cook. I really enjoyed this as did my Sister in Law (not sure if anyone else ate any).


Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
inspired from Allrecipes

10 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, set aside
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar                   
2 packets Truvia (or 2 Tbl sugar)
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup sliced almonds

Bring a large pot of water to boil, add cut broccoli and let boil for 3-4 minutes, drain and emerge broccoli in an ice bath, drain. (skip this step if you want a crunchier broccoli salad)
In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion and cranberries. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours.            
Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and almonds.



Did you like this post? If so, please share it, comment and PIN it! =)

enjoy,

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...