Saturday, April 21, 2012

Breakfast Casserole Cups


I needed something new for breakfast, something quick that will help settle my morning pills, cereal was getting old. These are perfect, just a couple will do me, I can reheat them as I want them too. Now, I did have to change the amounts, as I found it did not make enough potato nests, and since I added in more veggies and meat to my egg mixture it went further allowing me to make 16 cups. Take a look at her page if you don't want so many or less ingredients, I just added things I like to my breakfast. They came out great, I liked the crispy potatoes. Oh except they did stick to my tins, but my tins are old and lost it's nonstick. I did order new tins so I'll try it again and see if they stick. I hear those silicone muffin cups work good.


Breakfast Casserole Cups
adapted from Skinny Taste this recipe  below gave me 16 cups

non stick spray
1 Cup finely diced yellow onion
4 Cups frozen shredded potatoes, thawed (gluten free)
dash of garlic powder
dash of onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

2 Cups beaten egg whites (6-8 xl eggs worth)
1/4 Cup diced green onions
1/4 Cup diced bell peppers
1/4 Cup diced mushrooms
1/4 Cup diced ham
4 breakfast sausage links, cooked, diced (gluten free)
1 Cup reduced fat shredded cheddar blend cheese
dash of garlic powder
dash of onion powder
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 375°. Liberally spray a regular size muffin tin with oil spray.

Combine potatoes, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Fill each muffin tin with 1/4 cup of potatoes and press along the side of the tin so that it forms a nest.
Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown and edges are crispy.

While nests are baking, combine the egg whites with remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. 

Remove nests from the oven when golden brown.
Fill each cup with about 3 tbsp of egg mixture (be sure there's enough egg whites in each). Return to the oven and bake an additional 17-20 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked. Enjoy now, or let cool and freeze and bag for later to reheat. (thaw over night in fridge, microwave when ready to eat, but note they will not be cripsy like Day 1)





Did you like this post? If so, please commet, share it or PIN it! =)

enjoy,
Pin It!

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

These sound great!

Candi said...

Oh yum! They look delicious and are perfect for our house. It's just Hubby and I at home so I look for things I can bake quickly and freeze . These definaately go to the top of my list. Thank you! HUGZ :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...