Friday, November 11, 2011

Crispy Tofu with Veggies and Noodles in a Sweet and Spicy Soy Sauce


Ok, I am finally going to post this, I have shared about it on Facebook so much lately. It's become one of my favorite lunches (because no one else here would eat it). The recipe is taken from Steamy Kitchen's cookbook (pg. 111) and of course I changed it up a little (making it gluten free now), added some veggies and noodles making a meal of it.

Crispy Tofu with Veggies and Noodles in a Sweet and Spicy Soy Sauce
slightly adapted from Steamy Kitchen

4 TBL low sodium Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
4 TBL honey
2 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sambal oelek
1 TBL crushed garlic
14 oz block firm tofu
Veggies of choice (mushrooms, bean sprouts, bok choy...)
Cooked Asian rice noodles (or soba/ramen if you're not GF)

Combine Tamari, honey, sambal oelek, and garlic. Set aside.
Drain tofu, slice into 8 thin slices, lay on paper towels and press to drain out excess moisture.
In a hot skillet, heat about 1 TBL canola oil. Add tofu slices and let cook for 4 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. Set aside on paper towels to drain oil. Cut into bite size pieces.
In the same skillet, heat a little oil and add selected veggies and let cook until softened (can add a tiny bit of water, cover pan w/lid), about 3 minutes.
Using the same hot skillet, add the sauce and let it boil for a few seconds, turn off heat and add tofu and noodles, gently toss to combine.
This will give me 3 lunches worth.

(this is with ramen noodles, bell pepper & green onion curls, not GF)


sautee up veggies

let sauce simmer with tofu, add veggies

ready to add noodles


~Be sure to follow my recipe blog so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Pin It!

1 Comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good; I'll have to try it sometime when I'm alone, sadly my youngest is allergic to soy (and dairy) so I have had to cut out tofu :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...