Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Yakitori


Asian recipes are my favorite lately well always, and when I saw this posted I knew what was for dinner that night. Yakitori. Luckily for me my trip to the Asian market paid off, I had everything I needed (sake, mirin, lots of fresh (frozen) ginger...). I let this marinade a few hours, and I soaked the bamboo skewers for an hour, but you know, they still burned. I think I'll use my metal ones for now on. These came out SOOO good. Served over rice with some sauce drizzled over it, yum. Hey it's hot out, get your grill on.
 
Chicken Yakitori
slightly adapted from Jennifer Chandler's recipe

3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup sake
2 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
11/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Green onions cut 1" long
Sesame seeds for garnish
Skewers (if using bamboo, soak in water for 30 minutes or longer)
Vegetable oil, for the grates

In a medium saucepan combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Put the chicken in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the marinade and toss to coat. Cover, place in the refrigerator, and marinate for 30 minutes or longer.

Preheat a clean grill to medium-high with the lid closed for 8 to 10 minutes. Lightly brush the grates with oil.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess. Discard the marinade. Thread the chicken and green onions onto the skewers.

Place the chicken on the grill. Close the lid and cook, basting with the remaining marinade and turning frequently to prevent scorching, until no longer pink the middle, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


 
~Be sure to follow my recipe blog so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...