Thursday, July 28, 2011

German Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup


I have heard all about these, but have never made them or even had them until now. Why did I wait? These are great, and sooo easy. You have to try this Buttermilk caramel-y sauce too, super yummy. I made these for the kids this morning, but I think I'll get some fresh berries and make it again this weekend for Mr. too. This pancake is fun to watch baking, it puffs all up (see my photo lol), then it'll sink as it sits to cut. The flavor reminded me of a baked custard dessert, but not too eggy. The kids sure loved it and had seconds, I think I'll have to make two pans of it next time.


German Pancakes
as seen at allrecipes
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Buttermilk Syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

confectioners' sugar

Place the eggs, milk, flour and salt in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour the butter into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; add the batter. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F (375' Convec.) for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the first five syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Dust pancake with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately with the syrup.




(This is a gluten free version with less sugar and vanilla, gf flour blend is here )



~Be sure to follow my recipe blog so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Rachelle
Pin It!

22 Comments:

Danielle S said...

I think I am getting hungry. This looks great. I will have to make this for Sunday after church. Thanks, Rachelle!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh I need to bookmark these - I've never tried them either and they look marvelous!!

Thibeault's Table said...

Your German Pancakes look delicious. I love the idea of the buttermilk syrup. Must try soon.
Ann

Casey said...

These are something, I want to try. They look so good and I like that they puff up.

Square Bear said...

Made the pancakes today... Delicious! Next time, I'll make the buttermilk syrup, too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds really yummy, but it's not a German recipe at all. :)

Mrs. McAwesompants said...

I grew up eating these and they are as good as they look!!! :-) And the buttermilk syrup is AMAZING!

Aunt Viv said...

Could I replace some of the eggs with egg whites?

Aunt Viv said...

Could I replace the eggs with egg whites?

Rachelle S said...

@Brett and Vivienne Caudle, I do not know how these would turn out if you used just egg whites, but from looking at the Egg Beaters website, you could try it and substitute 1/4 Cup egg whites per 1 whole egg.

Heather said...

My family loves these! I grew up eating them, my mother is German and she made them for us as children. I know someone said it is not a German recipe but it really is, maybe not traditional German but still German. Just a note though, the salt for the pancakes is not necessary. Like I said we have been making them for a long time and have never added salt. Our recipe is very similar though: 1/2 Cup flour, 1/2 Cup milk, 2 eggs, and 1/4 Cup Butter. The butter is melted in the pan while you mix the other ingredients. We also always ate it with a sprinkle of lemon juice and some powdered sugar for a sweet/tart flavoring on top. They are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Just made this, it didn't look exactly like the pic did but omg it was sooo good the buttermilk syrup was incredible. That made this pancake over the top!

Anonymous said...

try using orange extract, its awesome with maple syrup

Angela said...

I found this on Pinterest yesterday and made it for breakfast this morning. Very easy to make, and even better - delicious! I've described it as pancake meets french toast. I thought I had corn syrup but realize I didn't after I started making the recipe, so I just substitute honey instead and it worked out fine. This will be added to my regular rotation of breakfast options.

SandLuv said...

All I Can say is WOW! Im not going to lie I was doubting the recipe because of its simple ingerdents, but made these this moring and everyone loved them! A little on the eggy side but my fault since i used extra large eggs lol... DONT add anything they are perfect. I didnt make the syrup but I bet it would taste absolutely amazing together

Ramblin' On said...

Just made your recipe. It was GREAT. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi!
This kind of "oven pancake" is very typical in nordic countries. Actually in Finland or Sweden this is usually what we mean by pancake. In addition there are french pancakes and american pancakes for us ;-)

I can tell the pancake turns just well with fewer eggs and more milk as well.
You can try:
8-10 dl of milk (Or other mixture of liquide)
2-3 eggs
4 dl of all purpose flour
3/4 tbs of salt
1/2 baking powder
1/2 dl sugar
butter melted (maybe 50 gr)

225 celcius in oven until looks good (20-30 minutes?)

Very good, easy thing to do. Excellent when you notice you have too much fresh dairy products in fridge going old soon.

Hint: "other liquide" can be cream, buttermilk mixed with water. ;)

In Sweden they often make it savory: No sugar and add pieces of ham, maybe cheese too.

Rachelle S said...

Hello Annanen,
Thank you for sharing your recipe and I love the idea of a savory style!

threeovens said...

Wow. I just saw this on Pinterest and I think it will hit the spot today! Not feeling well and need easy comfort food.

Unknown said...

They look so delicious and I have never heard of german pancakes. I should give them a try!
xo
http://dearbabymj.com

Unknown said...

This was an easy recipe. The only thing I did different was added crumbled bacon and it was delish. I would recommend this recipe. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I made this for our breakfast this morning. It looked picture- perfect beautiful but was dry and tasteless. Too much flour and not enough sweetness for our tastes. I topped it with sweetened strawberries but even that didn't improve the taste. It's back to a sweeter, more custardy Finnish oven pancake for us. Sorry for the negative review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...