Thursday, April 21, 2011

100% Whole Wheat Bread


I gave homemade bread another shot. This one worked! I have the hardest time with breads lately, after I shape them, put them in the pan to rise then bake, they come out deflated and so dense. I crossed my fingers for this one, and it worked! Since I didn't have enough honey for Honey Wheat Bread (next time), I found this recipe for a quick fix. I started this in the bread machine on the dough cycle, then rolled it and shaped it afterwards then baked in the oven, as one commentor suggested (if you look at the comments you'll see she, {Briar} made hers with her kitchen aid mixer instead). This came out great! It kept it's shape, was nice and soft inside and makes for great toast the next day.


100% Whole Wheat Bread
adapted from allrecipes

1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar (could use brown also)
1 1/2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Be sure your ingredients are at room temperature.
Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.

Select Whole Wheat/Dough setting. Press Start.
Rolled out to 9x15" and rolled from short end up. Pinched seams and ends. Put in 9X5 non stick sprayed loaf pan and let rise lightly covered for 1 hour. Baked at 350 for 25 minutes.

 

~Follow my new recipe url so you can get all the latest goodies!~
enjoy,
Pin It!

4 Comments:

Leslie said...

YEAH!! I am so glad you conquered bread!

redforever said...

If your bread comes out deflated and dense, I suspect you overproofed it.

The final loaf should proof until ALMOST double in size. Any longer and the dough gets too much air (yeast rising produces gas). Then when you put it in the oven and it gets a final rise, there is too much air and the dough can no longer support itself, and it collapses.

Unknown said...

Can I use the bread machine for the whole receipe? It sounds and look great! I've just never aked bread aside from my bread machine. Also, I'm going to try your meatloaf receipe. I need to expand my cooking abilities. I'm tried of making the same old food every week. Thanks for posting your reciepes.

Rachelle S said...

Hi chickie101, Sure you can use the bread machine if you like. I would probably use the 1 lb setting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...