Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wink's Homemade Dog Food


Having a dog hasn't always been in our family future, I am more of a cat person, so I thought. We've been petless for 7 years since I had to put my last cat down, it was heartbreaking. We've always told the kids they can have a dog when they're grown lol. WELL, that all changed one day last November at the kid's race banquet when our friends brought one of their fosters with them to hang out. His name is Winks. He's a mix chihuahua (we think Chipuggle) and he's had eye trauma sometime before in his short 2 years so he only has use of his right eye, thus he's called Winks. Well Mr. took him as well as the kids, I was still hesitant but I LOVE the idea of a rescue pet. SO we decided to try out the 2 week foster to adopt with him. We loved him from the get go as well as he loved us! So he became ours. You can find him on Instagram as #MrWinks. :)


I got the idea of making his food from a friend online. I love the idea of making real food and not some processed dog food with who knows what. I've done a lot of reading and decided to combine some recipes to make mine. It's everything that you'd eat, chicken, veggies and brown rice. NO seasonings, they're not good for dogs. Winks loves it!! 

(I used chicken pieces this time)

Wink's Homemade Dog Food
1 batch should make 36 -1/4 cup size balls

4-5 C. cooked brown rice
2 plain whole chickens, about 4 lbs each
2 medium orange sweet potatoes (yams), chopped
8 whole carrots, chopped
16 oz frozen peas
2 small bunches fresh parsley leaves
2 small-medium bunches kale, stems removed
8 eggs
*I also now add an apple or two (peeled, quartered)

Roast chicken in 350' oven for about 1 hour 25 minutes or until juices run clear. As chickens are roasting, cook the rice (4 C. water & 2 C. rice) and let cool.

Peel and chop yams, and carrots, add to a large stock pot with about 1/2 cup water. Add in peas, kale and apple. Allow to boil then simmer until carrots and yams are tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to remove any liquid to a food processor, add fresh parsley and pulse until pureed.

Cook scrambled eggs, plain.

Cool chicken, then pick apart and add meat to a large stand mixer. On medium speed, mix until chicken is shredded. Add in cooled rice, veggie puree and eggs . Using an ice cream scooper, scoop out portions onto a lined baking sheet. Flash freeze then place portions in a freezer safe container/baggie.

To use, keep a day or two worth in your fridge to thaw. I microwave thawed portions for 22 seconds, frozen for about 45 seconds. Feed to your furry baby.

Our dog is about 11 pounds and eats 1/2 C. - 3/4 C. of food a day.















enjoy,
Pin It!

3 Comments:

Mary said...

Aw, isn't he handsome?! Thrills me to hear wonderful stories like these. We work with Lab Rescue in San Diego and get blessed every time a doggy gets a wonderful fur ever home. Does not make up for the sad side of why those dogs end up with Lab Rescue, but at least, one-by-one, a dear doggy is saved.
Wow, Mr. Winks eats better than I do! Looks delicious. Great recipe and routine for storing, etc.

Barbara Rivers said...

I love that you're making Mr. Wink's very own dog food ~ I recently transitioned our pups Missy & Buzz from a kibble diet over to a homemade one! They love it & couldn't be happier & healthier!

Unknown said...

I have made this pet food and my 2 chihuahuas love it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...