Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chocolate or Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting


Our little boy, the baby of the family, turned 7 this week and he wanted chocolate cupcakes, but the others wanted vanilla so, I made a compromise for them. I combined a chocolate and a vanilla cake mix together, marbling them together before baking. I did the same with the butter cream frosting, mixing them both. I also scooped out the insides of the cupcakes and filled them too (see how to here). They get the both of both flavors with these special birthday cupcakes!

The chocolate frosting did not make enough to fill and frost my cupcakes so I do recommend at least doubling it for 24 cupcakes, plus with my ruffly icing it probably uses up more. By the way, I used a Wilton 2 D tip for that effect. Also this frosting will get melty in the heat so I kept these in the fridge until it was near time to serve.



Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
Adapted from Allrecipes. Makes about 2 cups.

1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

Mix together butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until combined. Add in vanilla and milk and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.



Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
Adapted from Food.com. Makes about 3 cups.

1 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a bowl combine butter, sugar and salt. Beat till blended. Add the milk and vanilla and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.

For the combined swirly effect of my frosted cupcakes, I placed some chocolate frosting in one pastry bag and some vanilla in another bag and then added them both to a bigger pastry bag with a tip frosted away.


they loved them!

Happy Birthday Buddy!


 enjoy,
Pin It!

0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...